Lady of the Mote's shared items

Monday, November 10, 2008

Temptation

Days like today make it so hard being a vegan,
hubby wants Paula Deen’s Southern Fried Chicken and collard greens,for dinner,
Recipes will follow.

It’s something I will only make maybe once or twice a year,
we have really change our eating habits,although he still eats meat,it’s only free range organic meats.

First I arm myself with my prettiest apron
and in it’s pocket a feather from,Luna and Lola that I had saved(they were my pet chickens)
then I wore my tightest cant breathe if I wanted to jeans,a great weapon for that”I take just one bite thought”,and painted a V on my wrist,to further ward off evil(V for vegan)
and I cooked,my house smelled wonderful,
hubby was so happy,thank God for the collard greens!
now that dishes are done,I am feeling great I didnt give in to temptation,V for victory!LOL!!!

but really if you love fried chicken it is a wonderful recipe,and use a free range organic chicken,it does make a difference.


Southern Fried Chicken
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
3 eggs
1/3 cup water
About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House seasoning, recipe follows
1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oilIn a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.
House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powderMix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.



Quick and Delicious Collards
Recipe courtesy FatFree Vegan Kitchen


1-2 bunches collard greens (as much as your pressure cooker will hold)
1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin rings
2 tablespoons water
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 cup water

Cut off the stems of the collard greens, removing any part of the central stem that seems tough. Stack 2 or 3 leaves on top of each other, roll them up so that they form a long tube, and cut them into thin strands:
Repeat with all the collards.

Spray the bottom of the pressure cooker lightly with olive oil and heat. Add the onions and 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring, until the water evaporates. Keep cooking and stirring until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 more minute.

Stir in the collard greens, add the 1 cup of water, and seal the cooker. Bring to high pressure and then reduce heat to keep the cooker at high pressure for 3 minutes. (If you are using small, baby collards, cook at high pressure for only 1 minute.) Remove from heat and use a quick-release method to reduce the pressure. Check the collards for tenderness; if they're still tough, put them back on the heat, but don't seal the cooker. Cook until tender. Salt, if desired, and serve (using a slotted spoon) with additional red pepper flakes.




2 comments:

Louise said...

I take it that you have not always been Vegan?? I did not know this.. AND I just don't understand how someone can give up meat... I'd die if I couldn't have a big juicy steak once a month or a pork chop and oh that chicken looked wonderful.
I'd give up dessert before giving up meat. LOL

Lady of the Mote said...

I became a vegan in stages,over a few years,first red meats,then chicken & fish,thats when your a vegetarian,then all dairy and all animal products,thats a vegan,
Hubby just cut out the red meat,
but eats organic now,
I do get tempted from time to time,chesse was the hardest for me.